Thursday, March 12, 2009

APATHY - EPISODE TWO

In continuation of my previous piece titled APATHY I now sadly realize that it was the “TRAILER”!!
Here is the subsequent episode (to be continued for how long I’m not so sure?) though I promise that I will see it to the end when the VOTER CARD IS FINALLY PROCURED.
As usual (we are early risers) reached the designated office no sooner than the gates and the shutter opened but an unscheduled load shedding greeted us!!
The guys who operate out of this office, for whom our tax money is utilized, announced that we will have to wait till the power is restored. Computers and other equipments cannot boot without power. Remember – we are a poor country administered by a corrupt government so cannot afford power back up systems unless some Minister can strike a deal to steal more money!!
Around 0900 hours after an hour’s wait some one announced that there is a register at the back office which will allocate a number to indicate that the system (when activated by electricity) will accept to photograph us for the card. I'm still trying to figure out why this procedure was indicated after an hour of waiting?
Surprise and frustration awaited us in the filthy back office where a chaotic situation prevailed because all of us rushed to obtain the number from a tired looking government employee (can’t blame him - there is no electricity for the fan!!).
There we patiently awaited our fate while this person fished for our names in a well worn out dirty odd sized fat register (repeatedly sucking his fingers - you know why?) and mostly announcing that the name is missing because the register has not been updated and casually announcing that we can check next week – no specific date to look forward to!!
We realized that the desire to vote has turned into a “Game of Chance” at the mercy of a failed system.
Returned home fuming and cursing to be an aspiring Indian Voter – wife declared that she will no more accompany me and that she has no desire to vote – another wasted franchise initiated by our failed system.
I am however determined to obtain the card and will try to convince my better half to support the project for an important venture.
So, till the next episode remain focused and determined to vote!!
JAI HO!!!!!!!!!!!
P.S. Meanwhile I have sent two mails to the office of a higher officer in the hierarchy of the Election Commission stating the facts so far (typically none of them have been acknowledged.)

1 comment:

Tina Nandi said...

And they wonder why the voter turnout is so low! It's like a deja vu of my whole passport fiasco! I'm sorry you have to go through this nonsense but I'm so proud of you for not giving up!
Love you!